July 15, 2012

Intel Core i7-3517U - 4000 kB L3 cache, 22nm technology

Another Ivy Bridge processor is now available in the computer market, the Intel Core i7-3517U. It is an ultra-low voltage processor (ULV) released in the 2nd quarter of 2012. This ULV processor, Intel Core i7-3517U, runs at the base clock speed of 1.9 GHz (1900 MHz) but because it has Turbo Boost technology it can overclock automatically up to 2.8 GHz when both cores are active and 3.0 GHz if only one of the cores is active. It also supports Hyper-Threading technology to handle up to four threads in parallel for additional processing power.

The Intel Core i7-3517U is a dual-core processor that offers 4 MB L3-Cache, 512kB level 2 cache and 128kB level 1 cache. Since this Intel Core i7-3517U dual-core processor is part of the family of the Ivy Bridge architecture it is also produced at about 22nm technology and uses 3D transistors for better energy efficiency.

This Intel Core i7-3517U dual-core processor also features integrated PCI Express 3.0, DDR3(L)-1600 support and other features such as Turbo Boost 2.0, Hyper-Threading, Virtualization VT-x, Virtualization for Directed I/O (VT-d), Trusted Execution, AES, Intel 64, Anti-Theft, My WiFi, Idle States, Enhanced SpeedStep, Thermal Monitorin, Execute Disable Bit and more.

It has an integrated graphics controller called Intel HD Graphics 4000 that offers 16 Execution Units (EUs) which is clocked at around 350 MHz up to 1150 MHz because of Turbo Boost, providing a performance comparable with entry-level discreet class GPUs.

This ultra-low voltage Intel Core i7-3517U processor has a thermal design power (TDP) of about 17 watts which makes it suitable for small and ultraportable laptop PCs.

This  Intel Core i7-3517U processor has a PassMark rating of about 4100, this is as powerful as Intel Core i5-2450M which has a rating of 3900, but more powerful compared to Intel Core i5-3317U with a rating of about 2700 and Intel Core i7-2677M with a rating of about 3200 but less powerful compared to Intel Core i7-3610QM which has a rating of 8333.

23 comments:

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Unknown said...

Very technical post, Can I ask a question? How much is this i7 costs? I'm planning to buy an i7 CPU only.


Brylupet

MsKatrina said...

Are computer manufacturer's already shipping out units with this chip?

Eccentricallysuper said...

Yeah, is this available in the market already?

Dominique Goh said...

Whao..didn't know that they are now upto intel 7.. a lot of advancement now in the tech world.

Aileen said...

Sometimes, I couldn't catch up with technology anymore...you blink for a split second and there's already an upgrade. Obsolete na agad yung kakabili mo lang hehehe

Jhari said...

My laptop is currently down right now. HARD DISK QUICK ERROR 303 lumalabas during start-up. Oh deym :(

bonz said...

i agree with aileen.
upgrades are out already, di pa nga nakakabili ng latest. :)

Genefaith said...

this topic comes handful for my techy brother...thanks for sharing

Rachelle said...

very detailed and informative post. will share this to hubby. it could be useful to him. I'm not that techy kasi e. :D

Aiza said...

i7. My officemates have them in their laptops and mine is still old school. sucks.

Anonymous said...

Aw thanks for sharing! I'm on the look out for the next laptop, as my current one needs replacing very badly :(
Your posts are quite technical for a not-so-techie like me, but they sure are very informative!
Have a great say :)

Anonymous said...

Aw thanks for sharing! I'm on the look out for the next laptop, as my current one needs replacing very badly :(
Your posts are quite technical for a not-so-techie like me, but they sure are very informative!
Have a great say :)

filmansantiago said...

I have a core i3 processor and my wife's a core i5, both are doing great. Having an i7, I think would just be the same. What I consider, as a non-techie like me, is the internet connection. :)

http://etc.soundsfunny.ws/

Allan D said...

Very techincal information. I cannot fully relate to this topic. hehehe

-Daddy Allan (BC Blogger)

Adventures on Planet Mom said...

very technical. but my hubby will definitely appreciate this. ill share this with him

Eds said...

I'm not a very technical person that's why I really don't understand some of it. But I'm glad you shared this, I might share this with my husband. :)

EDS

KRIZZA said...

I'm also not a techy person! I tend to shy away from being too much into gadgets. As what Aileen said,it's very hard to cope with the fast pace of technology.

Donna || HEYLADYSPRING.COM said...

As usual :/ very technical. This goes right over my head XD

My laptop is over 2 yrs old now and I think she's going to be needing a lot of stuff changed. I'll make sure to come back here for reference :)
Thanks!

Anonymous said...

Intel is my favorite processor since the getgo. The quality is always to vouch for.

Bee said...

i7 is good but it's still so expensive!

Anitha Meenan said...

Dell is known not only for their pcs and Laptops but along with a few other Products like Printers and Digital Cameras

Alastair Alex said...

Thanks for sharing this information with us. I am a big fan of reading, thanks for sharing this wonderful information.
Sony - 15.5" VAIO S Series Laptop - 6GB Memory - 640GB Hard Drive (SVS1511DGXB)
Sony - 13.3" VAIO S Series Laptop - 4GB Memory - 750GB Hard Drive